Sunday, February 7, 2016

6 Months Old

Cole got his first two bottom teeth on January 13th.  So adorable!  Unfortunately teething really seems to bother him but fortunately it isn't every day.

He ate his first solid food - banana  - that he liked.  We attempted to give him chunks of banana and squash that he could hold one night, but it scared him a bit and he cried.  We have since been successful with apple sauce and avocado!  We're using the mesh bag things with frozen banana and blueberries which he loves and also seems to soothe his teething.

We have successfully transitioned out of the swaddle at night.  I suspect that he's been ready for quite some time because he had been waking up at night struggling to break out.  Nevertheless, sleeping is still a challenge (for me, he seems great ha).  Cole wakes up at least 2-3 times every night.  We think it's because of the teething but mama's are ready for a full night's rest!

We have settled into a bedtime routine of bath, books, and bottle.  Cole is more open to baths now, though he hasn't yet discovered what fun they can be.  His favorite books currently are "Where is Baby's Belly Button?" and "Colors".  He has gotten adept at turning pages and shows his excitement by grabbing at them when it's time.  He really has trained us around bedtime, and makes it easy to put him down.  We still cuddle until he is entirely asleep, but I'm not ready to give up his sleepy cuddles yet.

Cole rubs his hairline repetitively and has rubbed all the hair off from ear to temple.  He mostly does this on the left side. Poor guy has a very dry face and I think he is developing eczema.

He fits mostly 9 month pajamas - anything with feet.  Cole has such a long torso and chubby little legs!  His hands and feet are huge. He began wearing "3" diapers this month.

Cole is babbling up a storm!  No identifiable syllables, but he definitely has a call that means "Mom come get me" that he uses if I take too long.

Cole still loves his pacifier but will use his hands just as comfortably.  He's taken to chewing on the paci on one side of his mouth and sticking a finger in the other side ha.

Cole has almost mastered sitting and does these funny exercises that look like crunchies.  He also loves to stand with assistance and hates tummy time.  He will roll over either by accident or with great displeasure, but will not do it unless totally irritated.

Cole and Tilly are best friends, and no one can make Cole laugh himself into hysterics like Tilly can.  She seems to return the affection and has taken to sleeping in the nursery, and goes to check on the baby when he's napping.

Finally, I began weaning this month.  I have such mixed feelings about ending breastfeeding, but I made it to my goal of 6 months and have almost started weaning despite myself.  I imagine my supply will have totally dried up by the end of the month, though I fantasize about pumping just a few times daily to provide at least one bottle each day until Cole's first birthday.  But I don't think my body will persist if I'm not pumping constantly.  We'll see.

Overall, Cole is such a happy, humorous, easy-going guy.  We couldn't love him more, and yet I love him more each day.




No comments:

Post a Comment