Thursday, July 9, 2015

35 Weeks



Wow!  The countdown is on.  As of this Friday, July 10th, we'll be one month from baby's due date.  At our appt yesterday my blood pressure measured a normal 110/79, and the belly continues to measure a little small.  This appt was with our regular doctor and she reviewed the ultrasound information with us.  She confirmed a small but normal baby with good amniotic fluid levels (important for growth and movement.)  We talked about the possibility of a scheduled C-section if baby remains breech, though she also affirmed that baby still has time to move.

Over the last week we've tried exercises, acupuncture, and moxibustion to encourage baby to move but so far he is content where he is.  I'm trying to make peace with whatever happens but doing the interventions have made me hypervigilant in a way that I've avoided most of the pregnancy and does not bring out the best in me.  I'm moody and emotional.  Acupuncture has previously been very effective in helping my mood (among other things), but at doctor's suggestion I'm also considering going back to therapy before baby is born in case I do develop post-partum depression.  This is disappointing because I've been on such a happy hormone run for the entire pregnancy until the last few weeks.  However, given my history, this is a good suggestion even if I don't ultimately need the support.  Also, I nerded out for a minute talking with my doctor about this stuff, and admired how effectively she talked about mental health concerns with me, her patient.  The premise of my dissertation is about how terrible medical professionals are at talking with their patients about mental health concerns so it was awesome to be a part of a competent and effective conversation about PPD and intervention strategies.

Baby boy continues to wrestle and be adorable, and I've definitely had more aches in my hips and lower abdomen which I hope means he'll have room to get head down.  I feel more unwieldy when walking around, and breathless more generally.  I've had a few Braxton Hicks contractions, but nothing uncomfortable.  According to the internet, baby is fully developed at this point, and will spend his last month in utero putting on weight.  Gain baby, gain!

No comments:

Post a Comment